The 2018 Election was broadly predicted to be a “Blue Wave” across the country, as pundits and activists alike anticipated widening partisan divisiveness to manifest itself in a major win for Democrats in the first real electoral test of the Trump Presidency. Enthusiasm from all New York voters was manifested in some of the highest turnout in modern history, with many reports of turnout approaching 50% turnout before absentee ballots were counted.
For the UJP team, we had much to watch and much at stake on election night. That’s because UJP had endorsed three State legislative candidates and a candidate for Attorney General. One of our candidates, Bob Antonacci was officially running on the UJP ballot line in the 50th State Senate District. The high turnout threw many expectations out the window immediately as polling closed, but ultimately, when the dust cleared, the UJP State Legislative team was successful.
We’re proud to congratulate State Senator-elect Bob Antonacci (R,C,I,Ref,UJP – Onondaga, State Senator-elect Daphne Jordan (R,C,I,Ref – Halfmoon) and Assemblywoman Carrie Woerner (D,I,WFP – Round Lake) on their impressive victories. We look forward to partnering with them in stopping the outmigration of our Upstate talent, overhauling State economic development programs, and reforming State government.
We were incredibly impressed with Keith Wofford, whom we endorsed for Attorney General. Unfortunately, Keith came up short on Election Day, but he waged a great campaign and we hope he stays involved in efforts to restore Upstate New York to its potential.
Throughout the campaign, UJP deployed our marketing resources and messaging expertise throughout the State in support of our team, holding press events, pushing digital advertising and social media promotions, and speaking with the media and voters to promote our ideals. As we catch our breath from this effort, we’re already eager to look ahead to 2019.
Importantly, as candidates the UJP supports are elected to State and local offices, our network of friends grows, allowing a greater reach for our message and heightens our ability to impact policy and discourse. Next year will be a local election year, and UJP will be seeking out candidates for City and County leadership positions around the State to promote our message and build our network. That means we’ll continue to be active and will need your help.
There are several ways you can help:
- Get Updates – Sign up for our newsletter by clicking here. We try to push regular content summarizing our activities and strategy and this is the best way to stay informed.
- Join Us – We need dedicated supporters all over the State as we build this movement into a more significant and powerful agent of change. Click here to sign up as a volunteer.
- Regional Policy Forums – Beginning in January, UJP will begin holding regional policy forums to drive focus on changing how State government is run, and speaking out on policies that may help or hurt our region. Would you be interested in helping coordinate or lead an event like this? Email our Communications Director Tim Dunn at firstname.lastname@example.org to start that discussion. Keep an eye on our newsletter, social media, and website for more information!
- Donate – Driving change in politics can be an expensive proposition. While we’ve been fortunate to have great financial support in the past, contributions of any size help us tell our story and shows Albany that Upstate New York is serious about fixing a broken system. You can donate any amount by credit card here or by mailing a check to: Upstate Jobs Party, PO Box 108, Little Falls, NY 13365.
- Recommend candidates – Do you know a great candidate for Mayor, County Executive or Chair of the County Board? Contact us at upstatejobs.org/contact today to share their information so we can review their credentials for a potential endorsement.
The wave in New York had quite a bit of blue in it on Tuesday, but at UJP, we’re not seeing colors, just a broken Upstate economy. 2018 was a great year for us, but we’re not done yet. Join us, as the best is yet to come!