Unite NY’s Voter Empowerment Index
VEI 2.0 first round of findings for 2023 has been released!
April 18, 2023
- Press Release
- Slide Deck Presentation of Findings (email required to access)
- Crosstabs (email required to access)
One way to drive change is to show policy makers clear numbers on how voters feel. That’s why in 2022, Unite NY launched the Voter Empowerment Index (VEI) to provide independent polling to track voter sentiment on various reforms. That project resulted in significant media coverage and established UNY and the VEI as a go-to resource for input on independent voters and the electorate’s views on reform. This data helps voters, our members, the media, and policy makers understand just how deep the support is for many major issues of reform.
What Did We Find in VEI 1.0?
- 40% are considering leaving NYS due to broken government
- More than 50% want Open Primaries
- 2/3 want term limits and campaign finance reform
- 60% want to make it easier for candidates to get on the ballot
- 61% want initiative and referendum
- More than 50% believe partisan politics has gotten worse since 2020
VEI 1.0 Results
May 26 – VEI Volume 4
April 12 – VEI Volume 3
March 4 – VEI Volume 2
February 1 – VEI Volume 1