Unite NY’s Voter Empowerment Index
Want to learn what we found in our second poll of 2023?
August 22, 2023 – What did we find in VEI 2.2?
- 53% of New Yorkers think politics in the State are headed in the wrong direction (up 3% from March)
- 80% want term limits for Governor and Legislature
- 40% have an unfavorable view of Governor Hochul
- Nearly 3/4 of New Yorkers want citizen initiatives
- 40% considering moving – including more than 70% of Bronx residents!
For more detailed info, check out our presentation.
April 18, 2023 – What did we find in VEI 2.1?
- Half of New Yorkers think politics in the State are headed in the wrong direction.
- Only 9% think the State is ahead of the curve in terms of election reform
- 51% are considering leaving NYS because of the state of our politics
- More than 3/4 want term limits for Governor and Legislature
- More than 2/3 want citizen initiatives and open primaries
- Nearly half want Ranked Choice Voting Statewide
For a more detailed look at the results:
- Press Release
- Slide Deck Presentation of Findings (email required to access)
- Crosstabs (email required to access)
One way to drive change is to show policy makers clear numbers on how voters feel. That’s why in 2022, Unite NY launched the Voter Empowerment Index (VEI) to provide independent polling to track voter sentiment on various reforms. That project resulted in significant media coverage and established UNY and the VEI as a go-to resource for input on independent voters and the electorate’s views on reform. This data helps voters, our members, the media, and policy makers understand just how deep the support is for many major issues of reform.
What Did We Find in VEI 1.0?
- 40% are considering leaving NYS due to broken government
- More than 50% want Open Primaries
- 2/3 want term limits and campaign finance reform
- 60% want to make it easier for candidates to get on the ballot
- 61% want initiative and referendum
- More than 50% believe partisan politics has gotten worse since 2020
VEI 1.0 Results
May 26 – VEI Volume 4
April 12 – VEI Volume 3
March 4 – VEI Volume 2
February 1 – VEI Volume 1